Omaha, Neb. April 27, 2015 – The organizers of Omaha Fashion Week presented by SAC Federal Credit Union announced the designers who have been selected to show collections during the next season of OFW, August 17-22. The lineup of 30 designers pitched their collections in front of the OFW Selection Panel last week and were selected from 47 applicants. The lineup includes three newcomers, six student designers, 21 OFW veteran designers and seven designers living outside of Nebraska. They come from South Africa, New York and Iowa.
All will compete for nightly cash prizes during designer showcases on August 17-21. The top twelve designers from the week will compete for the SAC Fashion Cup during the Runway Finale on August 22. The top twelve will be announced on August 3. “We absolutely love being able to offer cash prizes to our top designers – this is part of SAC Federal Credit Union’s dedication to supporting small business owners. It makes a big difference for a designer to be recognized in this way,” said OFW Producer Brook Hudson. All selections and awardees will be determined by the OFW Selection Panel.
“The talent coming in now has improved so much – the quality and style we are seeing now is truly amazing. The whole selection process has become increasingly competitive,” said OFW Designer Coordinator Buf Reynolds. Highlights from interviews:
- Florals are the big trend coming out of this season’s designer pitches. Many are using floral prints, a few going so far as to design their own custom floral prints.
- Drag queens will be featured in Jenny Pool’s avant garde collection
- Surface design is a big deal, with designers treating denim and using broken glass on garments
- Landscapes – both urban and desert – are a major inspiration for several designers
The OFW Selection Panel includes five industry experts who score designer presentations and act as mentors and advisors to designers as they prepare for shows. The panel includes: Vanessa Barrett, jewelry designer and fashion/interior stylist; Judy Davis, Fashion Institute Midwest Board Member; Autumn Foland, sales director for Design Parliament; Robyn Kortan, former senior buyer for Dayton Hudson/Marshall Field Department Stores; Meghann Schense, editor of Omaha FASHION Magazine and owner of Esoteric Velvet, a creative firm.
OFW will announce the venue location and the show schedule in May. Tickets go on sale to the public June 1 at www.omahafashionweek.com and range in price from $40-$85 for weeknight tickets and $1000-$1250 for 10-seat Finale VIP Tables.
- Molly O’Brien for Molly Elizabeth (junior, ready to wear)
- Alison Cloet (graduating senior, evening wear)
- Christopher DiGiorgio (graduating senior, menswear) †
- Sydney Moore (seventh grade, ready to wear)
- Alesha Johnson for alesha.beth (graduating senior, evening wear)
- Alyssa Koory (graduating senior, ready to wear)
- Triple Thread (ready to wear)
- Isabel Muziva for Kingdom Unlimited (children’s wear)
- Leah Kettelson for Leah Kareen (evening wear, Colorado)
- Buf Reynolds (evening wear)
- Dan Richters (avant garde) ‡
- Sabrina Jones for Sabrina Jones Designs (swimwear)
- Jennifer Pool (avant garde)
- Ellene McClay for Brave Nouvelle (avant garde)
- Juantiesha Christian for SuShe by J. Tracey (ready to wear, New York)
- Terri Buckner for Nuevintage (ready to wear)
- Fella Vaughn for Fella (evening wear)
- Denise Ervin for Denise Ervin Designs (evening wear)
- Samone Davis for Legalized Rebellion (ready to wear)
- Tamara Newson for Iconic by Tamu (ready to wear)
- Erica Cardenas and Bryan Frost for Wallflower (ready to wear)
- Alejandra Buenrostro (ready to wear)
- Michelle Dunn for MDFashions Aspen (ready to wear, Colorado)
- Andrea Hurtt for Amaryllis Designs (evening wear) †
- Judy Bales (avant garde, Iowa)
- Jessica Collins for Jessica Lynn (children’s wear)
- Kaitlyn Fitzgerald for KAIT (children’s wear, New York)
- Michaela Cawley for KKINI (swim, South Africa)
- Adrienne Anderson for Quite-A-Riot (bridal)
- Caleb Hanner for LeRoy Designs (bridal, Iowa)
† Indicates SAC Federal Credit Union Prize winner
‡ Indicates Fashion Cup winner
About Omaha Fashion Week:
On the inside, Omaha Fashion Week is a talent incubator that seamlessly connects designers, stylists, photographers, artists and models through nurturing platforms and engaging opportunities. On the outside, Omaha Fashion Week is Midwest’s premier fashion event; spotlighting fashion innovations and celebrating creative excellence. Learn more at www.omahafashionweek.com.